Amherst Golf Club
Established in 1900, the semi-private Amherst Golf Club is owned by Amherst College and run independently by an incorporated community group of dedicated golfers. Located on Route 116, the historic course is a short distance from both the College and the Amherst Town Common. The beautifully maintained 9-hole layout, which tests all skill levels, was designed by Walter Hatch, an assistant of the famed Donald Ross, and later renovated by Geoffrey Cornish. Measuring 3,075 yards, with holes ranging from 160 to 535 yards, the par-35 course includes multiple tees, many bunkers, and greens that are famous for being fast and true. The Clubhouse offers a well-stocked pro shop, snack bar, and friendly staff under the direction of PGA Professional, Dave Twohig, who is also available for private lessons.